Holi the festival of color is not far. Preparations have started and homes are filled with the aroma of Holi delicacies like gujiya, malpua, thandai, and so on. Festivals are to enjoy, meet family, friends, relax, eat good food, and spread happiness.
With Holi also comes a fear of skin and hair damage as colors and chemicals used in them can cause skin and hair problems. You need to prepare your skin and hair accordingly to protect them from damage. You don’t need to worry now, as we bring you some really effective Skin Care Tips for Holi that will guard your skin and hair from getting damaged.
Skin and Hair Care Tips
- Ice cubes: Prepare your skin to face the harsh chemicals by rubbing ice- cubes before going out. Ice cubes help in closing the skin pores and preventing them from colors penetrating the skin. Just rub ice cubes on your face 10-15 minutes before going out to play colors.
- Oiling: Every year on Holi you must have heard your elders asking you to put lots of oil on your hair and skin before going out. Yes, this is a great hack to prepare your skin for facing harsh colors and chemicals. You can use a mix of coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, almond oil, and mustard oil. You may apply a combination of these oils which will create a thick layer of coating on your skin and keep it safe from the harmful effects of Holi colors. Oil your hair and skin at least an hour before playing colors to give your skin enough time to soak in the goodness of oil. You can use oil to wipe off colors from your face and neck.
- Sunscreen: Applying sunscreen protects your skin from UV rays. Staying out for long gives exposure of skin to harmful sunlight.
- Petroleum Jelly: Your lips and eyes are as important as your skin and to keep them safe is even equally important. Apply a layer of petroleum jelly on your lips and eyelids to protect them from harmful colors and keep the skin hydrated.
- Nail Paints: Nails get damaged due to chemicals used in colors especially when they get stuck beneath your nails. Apply nail paints on your nails and apply some oil on top of it to give an extra layer of protection.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink a lot of fluids before and while playing colors. Exposure to sunlight for a long time and colors makes your skin lose body fluids and salt. Drinking water, juices, etc. can save your body from getting dehydrated.
- Go Herbal: Herbal and homemade Ubtan and Packs are the best for your skin and hair. Turmeric is the best-suited ingredient for all skin types. It has got healing and repairing properties that soothe your skin irritation and heal skin damage. Use a mixture of gram flour with turmeric and milk to make a paste and apply it to your face and body to get rid of color stains.
- Clothes: Try wearing airy, quick-dry, and breathable fabrics that cover your skin, hand, and legs properly. Wear a scarf or a cap to avoid colors getting into your hair.
These Skin Care Tips for Holi could save you from the tedious job of getting rid of the Holi colors after the festival. Don’t go harsh on your skin by rubbing too much. Try washing off the color when it’s still wet as once it dries up, the stains take much longer to go away. Pamper your skin and hair after playing Holi colors. Use mild soaps or go for herbal remedies to protect your skin from breakouts. For further information on skincare, you can read some of our previous blogs on skin and hair care. TIFT Hyderabad is an institution that offers specialized courses in makeup and cosmetology